1947 Ex US Navy Whaler/Tender Project - £2,995
Status : FOR SALE
Lying : Norfolk Broads - Viewing strictly by appointment through Topsail
(Please scroll down to the 'Images' section below for more photos.)
Builder : Kelly Boatworks of Charleston, South Carolina, USA
LOA : 8.23m (27ft 0in)
Beam : 2.29m (7ft 6in)
Draft : 0.76m (2ft 6in)
- Wood carvel construction
- Believed to be a US Navy Motor Whaleboat Mk1 reportedly built by Kelly Boatworks, Charleston, South Carolina c. 1947
- Double ended design
- Transom hung rudder
- Aft cockpit
- Open wheelhouse
- Air draft approximately 1.98m (6ft 6in)
- Paint finish (red to hull topsides, white to wheelhouse)
- Varnished mahogany toerail and trim
- Last surveyed 2007
- Previously last ashore 2017
- Now (since late October 2021) back ashore and available for inspection
Mechanical & Electrical
- 16hp (approx.) Petter PH2 WRMR twin cylinder diesel inboard engine (starts and runs okay using hand crank, starter motor not working, needs overhaul)
- Shaft drive
- Wheel steering
- 12V electrics (needs new battery)
- 2 berths in 1 cabin
- Open wheelhouse with helm and storage (former small galley area)
- Cockpit with seating to sides and rear (storage lockers under)
- Further locker under aft deck
- Engine box doubles as cockpit table
- Berth cushions (not on board at time of photographing)
- No freshwater, cooking or toilet facilities currently fitted
- Tonneau style cockpit cover (old but serviceable)
- Single bowroller
- Pulpit rail
- Navigation lights
- 12V auto bilge pump
- Various fenders
- Various mooring warps
This traditional motor launch has a leak above the waterline where planks have sprung due to rot in the stem. She additionally has rot in some planking in the hull topsides, aft cockpit coaming, starboard side of wheelhouse and some cockpit floorboards. She is therefore being sold for restoration, ideally suiting a DIY boat builder or similar looking for a winter project. She has been in the same ownership since 1994 (with the vendors having been involved with her since the early 1980's) and in commission annually including in 2021, and she is now offered for sale due to the purchase of another vessel (a traditional steam launch!).
A temporary repair to the aforementioned leak at the stem could be made (with plywood) to enable the boat to be moved elsewhere under her own power by river (with due care and diligence) if required. Unfortunately no trailer is available or included in the sale.
With her unusual and attractive double ended design, and with a potentially interesting history warranting further research, this is certainly a worthy project for someone with the required skills and time. Sensibly priced for a quick sale. Currently lying ashore and available for inspection.
Please note: This vessel's Boat Safety Scheme certificate has expired.
DISCLAIMER: Topsail Marine Yacht Brokers is acting as brokers (or in the case of classified adverts, advertising medium) only and unless stated otherwise the vendor is not selling in the course of business. Whilst every care has been taken in their preparation, the correctness of particulars is not guaranteed and they are intended as a guide only. Prospective purchasers are strongly advised to check all particulars and where appropriate employ an independent qualified agent to carry out a survey and/or sea/river trial. Vessels are offered subject to prior sale, amendment or withdrawal without notice.
You are welcome to link to this page, but please do not use content in any other way without our permission.
2326 Bounty C30 21112111