1936 Norfolk One Design Dinghy & Trailer - £3,995
Status : FOR SALE
Lying : Norfolk Broads - Viewing strictly by appointment through Topsail
(Please scroll down to the 'Images' section below for more photos.)
LOA : 4.27m (14ft 0in)
Beam : 1.63m (5ft 4in)
Draft : 0.3m (1ft 0in)
Maximum Draft : 1.22m (4ft 0in)
Keel : Centreboard
- Wood clinker construction
- Mahogany, clench built and copper fastened
- Centreboard keel
- Original brass flotation tanks
- Exterior re-varnished annually during current ownership since 2016 (not yet re-varnished 2021, but only afloat once in 2020)
- Interior last re-varnished 2019
- Stored under cover every winter/when out of commission
Rigging & Sails
- Gunter rig
- Original bamboo spars, refurbished and re-whipped summer 2020
- Sail area of 125 sq ft
- 2 sets of sails, one set hardly used
Mechanical & Electrical
- No engine
- Combination road trailer and launching trolley (good condition)
- Cover (old but serviceable)
- Spare tiller
- Mud weight
- Various fenders
- Full set of as built plans on A1 paper
- Copy of "A real boat: The Norfolk dinghy story" by Paul Buckerfield (only 75 copies printed)
The first Norfolk One Design Dinghy was built in 1931 by Herbert Woods of Potter Heigham in protest against the rising price of the 14ft International Class. Proving popular with both young and experienced sailors alike, Norfolks were built in steady numbers throughout the following years, pre and post war, until the last one (other than a replica built more recently in New Zealand!), B86, was built in 1968. The sail number prefix "B" (for Broads) was selected to avoid confusion with the 12ft Nationals which sailed locally and which had already adopted the letter "N". The class remains very active today, with several fleets throughout the Broads and fortunately with the vast majority of the original 86 boats still in existence.
This Norfolk Dinghy looks to be in very good condition, and is well loved and well looked after. She's stored and available for viewing at the vendor's home near the southern Broads.
B37 Harnser can be seen sailing in the lovely vintage video "Norfolk Broads Story AKA Boats On Norfolk Broads 1948" (at 2m30s) available in the British Pathé archive.
DISCLAIMER: Topsail Marine Yacht Brokers is acting as brokers (or in the case of classified adverts, advertising medium) only and unless stated otherwise the vendor is not selling in the course of business. Whilst every care has been taken in their preparation, the correctness of particulars is not guaranteed and they are intended as a guide only. Prospective purchasers are strongly advised to check all particulars and where appropriate employ an independent qualified agent to carry out a survey and/or sea/river trial. Vessels are offered subject to prior sale, amendment or withdrawal without notice.
You are welcome to link to this page, but please do not use content in any other way without our permission.
2220 Harnser B37 21032203