1998 Native 31 River Cruiser Class - £39,500
Lying : Ashore Norfolk Broads - Viewing strictly by appointment through Topsail
Designer : Andrew Wolstenholme
Builder : Native Yacht Company, Horning
LOA : 10.97m (36ft 0in)
LOD : 9.44m (31ft 0in)
LWL : 7.92m (26ft 0in)
Beam : 2.89m (9ft 6in)
Draft : 1m (3ft 3in)
Displacement : 2,700kg
Ballast : 669kg
Keel : Fin
- Wood carvel construction
- Traditionally styled Broads yacht built using modern methods and materials (see Remarks section below)
- Built as one of class of three
- Privately commissioned for one of the founders of Native Yacht Company and never been in hire
- Only two owners from new
- Stripped planked cedar hull
- Blue topsides
- Large 7ft cockpit
- Teak decks with recessed mooring fittings
- Cold moulded coachroof (eliminating need for beams, thereby increasing headroom) on hydraulic lifting gear
- Panelled mahogany bulkheads in cabin
- Wintered ashore annually
- Professionally maintained to a very high standard
Rigging & Sails
- Gaff rig
- Wood mast (Russian redwood), boom and bowsprit (ash)
- Carbon fibre gaff (lighter to aid handling)
- Mast mounted in oak tabernacle with 12V winch for easy lowering/raising
- Originally rigged with topsail (no longer present/not included in sale)
- Mainsail (original, good condition)
- River jib (original, good condition)
- Large jib (little used)
- Raced just once by present owner of 13 years
Mechanical & Electrical
- Nanni 2.5HE 14hp (governed to 10hp) diesel inboard engine installed in forepeak
- ARP hydraulic drive to two blade folding prop
- Engine professionally serviced and winterised annually
- Tiller steering
- Single lever control
- 12V battery
- 2 berths in 1 cabin
- Berths both 2.03m (6ft 8in) long
- Berth cushions new 2015 approximately
- Wrap round seating for comfortable day time use/entertaining
- Varnished table on pedestal with floor mounts in both cabin and cockpit
- Galley with gas stove (2017, 2 burners, grill & oven), bowl sink (cold supply), tiled worktop and dedicated stowage
- Separate heads compartment with sea toilet (no holding tank) and wash basin (cold supply)
- Lifting cabin roof on hydraulic lifting gear providing 1.98m (6ft 6in) headroom at aft end
- 12V cabin lights
- Floor coverings and curtains where fitted
- Lockers under berths
- Lots of stowage in forepeak
- Boat Safety Scheme certificate to winter 2019/20
- Fire extinguishers
- Cruising cockpit awning
- Tonneau-style cover (for use with cabin roof lowered)
- Full stem to stern cover (covers all brightwork)
- Quant pole
- Mud weight
- Pair of rhond anchors
- Various fenders
- Various warps
- A choice of tenders are available by separate negotiation, both in excellent condition:
- 9ft pram dinghy with sail
- 10ft (approx.) traditional clinker nutshell dinghy
Professionally maintained by one of the very best boatyards on the Norfolk Broads for the last 10+ years, this very traditionally styled Broads River Cruiser Class yacht is understood to sail extremely well and handle beautifully. She was commissioned in 1998, being the first of what would become a class of three and the first wooden Broads yacht to be built by a commercial yard in nearly 20 years (the last prior having been "Cirrus" in 1982), and was purchased by the current and only second owners in 2006. She is now very sadly for sale due to the owners' advancing years. With her large cockpit and very spacious two berth cabin, she offers very comfortable cruising accommodation for a couple, with two further occasional berths easily facilitated in the cockpit under the awning if required.
In winter 2000, "Sapphire" was featured in and appeared on the covers of both Water Craft magazine and The River Cruiser (the journal of the river cruiser class).
Please note: The photos of this vessel are of various ages, but we understand that the vessel is currently presented to a similar standard. The original slatted backrests shown in the cabin have since been removed.
MOORING: It's understood that the vessel's very desirable northern Broads mooring could be transferred to the purchaser subject to agreement from the mooring owner (current cost approximately £2,000 per annum).
From the original sales literature as published by Native Yacht Company:
Andrew Wolstenholme's brief was to design a good looking, easily driven yacht that would be a pleasure to handle, comfortable, yet swift and to comply with the River Cruiser Class rules, and the spirit of the rules.
The yacht is built by Roger Hodds and Maynard Watson in timber, with tradition in mind, borrowing heavily on the successes of the past but using modern techniques and materials.
The hull is built of stripped planked Cedar using the West System, knees, floor bearers etc., in laminated Oak, the bowsprit Ash, the cabin Mahogany, the decking and cockpit floor Teak.
Andrew Wolstenholme has incorporated in the design many subtle curves which are emphasised by the choice of timber. These curves not only add to the joy of the yacht, they increase its [sic] strength without adding weight.
The first boat Sapphire, has a large cockpit for day cruising, racing and cockpit camping for children, the cabin has two berths with wrap round seating. She will be very suitable for all three aspects of Broads sailing, long leisurely day trips, racing and extended cruising. The Timber construction allows cockpit and cabin layouts to be redesigned as each owner requires.
DISCLAIMER: Topsail Marine Yacht Brokers is acting as brokers (or in the case of classified adverts, advertising medium) only and unless stated otherwise the vendor is not selling in the course of business. Whilst every care has been taken in their preparation, the correctness of particulars is not guaranteed and they are intended as a guide only. Prospective purchasers are strongly advised to check all particulars and where appropriate employ an independent qualified agent to carry out a survey and/or sea/river trial. Vessels are offered subject to prior sale, amendment or withdrawal without notice.
You are welcome to link to this page, but please do not use content in any other way without our permission.
2110 19101911 Sapphire #347 273E